How about those fabulous claims that mineral makeup is the new skin care? I thought this sounded too good to be true, so I dived into researching different ingredients found in mineral makeup and critics take on that claim.
Here is the skinny on all my research without diving into each mineral and it’s use: mineral makeup is NOT the new skin care! Due to the fact that this makeup is made up of minerals, whose particles are too big to be absorbed by the skin, makes this claim impossible. It can be true that the powders are non-comedogenic (does not block pores), but this a far cry from the outrageous claims made.
So what is skin care? By definition, it should, well, remedy your skin’s problems. If you have oily skin, your daily care routine should combat that. If you have dry skin, your regimen should be offering appropriate moisture to rehydrate your skin!
What should you look for in a good skin care program? You need a skin care program that is formulated for your skin type (dry, oily, combination, normal). Here are the 5 steps that must be found in every great skin care program. Note: mineral foundations are always in the “Protect” category.
1. Cleanse your face with a cleanser for your skin type. Do not use regular soap – most are deodorant types and will irritate your face or dry it out too much. You can even use a 3-in-1 cleanser to save time from doing steps 2 & 3 below.
2. Exfoliate: again, use one for your skin type. An exfoliator helps get rid of dry skin that tends to dull the surface and clog pores (should be done 2-3x’s a week).
3. Freshen: This is usually a stringent that cleans and closes your pores.
4. Moisturize: Find one suitable for your skin type and, if you can, one that contains a minimum sunscreen of SPF 15. (A sunscreen higher than 30 is not necessarily more beneficial.) If your moisturizer doesn’t contain sunscreen, apply sunscreen before your moisturizer.
5. Protect: Apply a foundation in the form of a liquid, powder, or a cream to powder. Not only does it help even out your complexion, but acts as a barrier to lock in the moisture and keep environmental pollutants out.
So remember, while most mineral makeup is just powder, it can be a part of your routine. Never go to bed with any makeup on – be sure to do steps 1-5 in the day and steps 1-4 before bed.
Makeup on bad skin looks like makeup on bad skin. So take care of it so people will notice your beauty instead of being distracted by your skin’s imperfections! Discover the secrets to take care of your skin by grabbing my Free Report titled “Guide to Healthy, Beautiful, Wrinkle and Blemish Free Skin.”